Change of Ownership/Structure or Manager

Assignment of License Prohibited
A City of Rifle Marijuana Business License is nonassignable, and any attempt to assign a license voids the license.

This is different from a change of officers, stockholders, directors, managing members, members, partners, or center/operation/manufacturer/facility managers. When such a change occurs, you must report a change of ownership/structure or a change of manager.

Change of Officers, Stockholders, Directors, Managing Members, Members, Partners, or Center/Operation/Manufacturer/Facility Managers
If a marijuana business licensee is a corporation, a limited liability company, or a partnership, and wishes to do any of the following:
  • Reallocate ownership/control among current ownership group
  • Distribute ownership to new persons who will have ownership or controlling interest
  • Change officers or directors, whether or not they have ownership interest
The licensee must notify the City at least 30 days prior to completing the change

If you do not manage your marijuana business personally, or if it is not managed by one of your officers, stockholders, directors, managing members, members, or partners, and instead you have named a center/operation/manufacturer/facility manager, and you wish to name a different center/operation/manufacturer/facility manager, you must notify the City at least 30 days prior to completing the change.   

Application Information
A Change of Ownership/Structure or a Change of Manager consists of the following items: 

The application process includes the following steps:
  1. Completion and submission of application forms and fees by applicant to City Clerk (accepted by appointment only)
  2. Review of documents for completeness by staff
  3. Background investigation by staff
  4. Review of results of background investigation by staff
  5. Decision by City Manager
  6. State approval
  7. Issuance of licenses by City Clerk
 The process generally takes 3-4 months. For additional information, please contact the City Clerk.