- ➤ City Departments & Services
- Public Information...
- Community TV / Multimedia
Community Access TV / Multimedia
The City's Community Access department oversees Rifle Community TV (a community access — cable channel, web player, & streaming app), and RifleNOW.org (a community access website).
Community Access TV / Multimedia overview:
The City of Rifle's Community Access department (and our brands' Rifle Community TV and RifleNOW) has the unique assignment of collaborating with Rifle organizations & individuals in an effort to Produce, Distribute, & Archive impartial, hyper-local, and non-commercial media/multimedia content in three strategic content categories.
Our Three Strategic Content Categories:
- Governmental Decision-Making: media that provides Government Transparency, Accessibility, & promotes Civic Contribution.
- Community Ownership: media that Showcases the Community while promoting a sense of Community Connection, Inspiration, & most of all Ownership.
- Community Information/Affairs: media that assist in the circulation of Essential Public Information regarding Affairs & Issues of Local Interest.
Additional Info regarding: Community Access Multimedia
- showing deliberations of elected or appointed bodies
- coverage of selected public issues forums
- that provides information about local government or issues of local interest
- produced or provided in cooperation with other organizations or individuals that is informative or entertaining
- that exhibits the arts, culture, or individual artists, or that is artistic focused in its nature
- that is informative or educational centered/focused in its nature
- that is historical centered/focused in its nature
- fundamentally commercial, for-profit, or any advertisements for the sale of goods or services
- promotions of religious beliefs or religious philosophies
- events that are primarily partisan in nature including supporting or opposing a political candidate or ballot measure
Our department was founded as a cable channel in the late 1990’s in order to start broadcasting City’s Council meetings on the local channel, along with a community bulletin board. It was established as a “government access channel” through a franchise agreement between the cable provider and the City. Later the Rifle City Council adopted a government access channel policy to guid the departments operations and growth. This guiding policy named the channel Rifle Community Television (RCTV), and establishing the departments foundational objectives and programming categories (mentioned above). In 2014 a community access website called RifleNOW.org was also started. This started the department’s transition to be know as Community Access Multimedia (CAM). CAM/RCTV has grown to produce an average of 175-185 unique video programs a year, along with now making all its programming available online and on downloadable video streaming OTT & iOS apps (see links below).
Non-public forum - Disclaimer:
As a government channel/website/media outlet, CAM/RCTV is not required by law to offer access to anyone other than the City of Rifle and is a non-public forum. CAM/RCTV may, within its sole editorial discretion, accept content from other sources. Governmental access channels, websites, and other media outlets are used for transmission by local government, and the City of Rifle has complete editorial control of all content, media, and programming
Rifle Community TV (the brand)
"Showcasing Rifle’s story, one moment at a time..."
Rifle Community TV (RCTV) is a government access channel as provided for in the Telecommunications Policy Act of 1984.
Our Purpose: Rifle Community TV provides Community Access Television for the citizens of Rifle, Colorado.
Our Mission: “Promote a local culture of awareness, participation & ownership among citizens & community leaders.”
Our Video-Streaming Platforms:
- RifleTV+ (digital & online channel)
- Websites: www.RifleTV.plus
- OTT Apps: Roku, AppleTV, & FireTV
- Mobile App: iOS/iPhone
- Local cable channel: Channel 10 on Xfinity
- Social Media: Facebook (@RifleCommunityTV)
Additional Info regarding: Rifle Community TV
- To provide live and taped gavel-to-gavel coverage of the City’s, and other local government meetings
- The documentation and showcase meant/display of community events that CAM/RCTV deems to be in the public interest.
- To provide programs from other government, educational, or community organizations, and individuals that CAM/RCTV deems to be in the public interest.
- To serve as an information source during local emergencies.
- To provide programming that is non-commercial in nature.
- To teach TV production skills so individuals and organizations can produce their own programs.
Video Services Provided:
- Live broadcast
- Scheduled playback
- Historical archives/documentation
Expertise / Native Areas of Work:
- Comprehensive multi-source & multi-layered live-event coverage
- Effective & resource-efficient onsite event documentation
- Prompt, high-quality, & cost-effective post-production returns
- High-end, user-friendly, & informative post-production presentations
Non-public forum - Disclaimer:
As stated above, Rifle Community TV (RCTV) is an established government access channel on Comcast’s Xfinity channel 10, as provided for in the Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984, as amended. As a government channel, RCTV is not required by law to offer access to anyone other than the City of Rifle and is a non-public forum—not a public access channel. RCTV may, within its sole editorial discretion, accept programming from other sources. Governmental access channels are used for programming by local government, and the City of Rifle has complete editorial control of all content and programming.
RCTV - Government Access Channel Policy:
RifleNOW (the brand)
"a Collaborative Community Communications project"
Our Collaborative Online Services:
- Community Calendars (link)
- Community Flyers/Bulletin Board (link)
- Community Navigator (link)
- Community Videos - by RCTV (link)
- Community Highlights - Vlog (future development)
- Community Kiosk/Digital Signage (future development)
Additional Info regarding: RifleNOW
☞ Select a Tab to expand its content.
At RifleNOW we believe in a strong, interwoven community.
- One where citizens know about upcoming events, and are involved in the area's diverse cultural, artistic and recreational opportunities.
- One where people of all ages have opportunities to stay active & healthy, caring about themselves & their environment.
- One where local community leaders are within your reach & approachable, and interact one-on-one with citizens.
- One where important information is easily within the citizens reach, and the media is about the local community & people.
- One where all social groups are welcomed and supported by embracing diversity through traditions, heritage, values & ideals.
- And most of all, one where citizens take accountability to be deeply involved in their community. Volunteering their time, sharing ideas, staying informed on important local topics, and helping keep the community safe & flourishing.
So, that's what we believe in at RifleNOW, and we'd like to think that's what the Rifle Community is about too.