We utilize chlorine dioxide as a disinfectant at the water treatment plant. It is a good disinfectant and reduces the formation of compounds, such as trihalomethanes.
When a water tap is open, small amounts of chlorine dioxide diffuse into the air and combine with existing household odors. All homes have volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the ambient air produced by paint, carpet, new furnishings, scented products (such as soaps, candles, air fresheners or incense), or fresh flowers and many other common household items. The combination of VOC & Chlorine Dioxide have been described as smelling like fuel, oil, kerosene, chemicals or cat urine. The odor will continue until the levels of the VOC in the household ambient air decreases. The remedy, is to increase ventilation by opening windows and turning on fans.
Alternatively, you can remove chlorine dioxide and other chlorine compounds from the water by using an activated carbon filter. This will prevent the formation of VOC compounds that can cause unpleasant odors.